BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

some things never change

Last night was back to school night.
My parents never went to these when I was in high school, because of their work hours. I don't believe I ever really cared if they went or not.
However, we wanted to go, and see these people who were teaching MG, and her classrooms, and, perhaps, to ask a few questions.
Well, they take back to school night very literally here. WE went back to school. This was not a 'wander at will' scenario, meet the teachers, ask your questions, then leave thing. They had 'mini classes' for us, with the bells ringing, and "passing periods" and everything. We went to each class as the child would go. "We" would be me and MG, because MM got caught up in a miserable day and miserable traffic, and miscommunication, so he wasn't able to make it. )
And was I ever glad MG was there. Some of the parents came without kids, and tried to find their way around the school, to each class. With a schedule. The passing period was only 3 minutes. (The kids get 10 ) Its a large school.
Some classrooms never change though. MG's last class is Life Science, and I walked in there, and immediately flashed back. The lab stations, the lay out. Exactly the same as when I was in school. Even the smell of it. (like somewhere, there is a teeeny tiny stream of gas draining into the science room. Just the science room.).
So last night I went back to school. Didn't really get to ask any questions, but the one teacher I wanted to ask something of wasn't present anyhow.

7 comments:

Lori said...

Ours is like that too. And in math class they always give US a timed test. I HATE it. But, I do like meeting the teachers. I would say probably only about 20% of the parents even show.

sybil law said...

I can't believe the teacher wasn't even there! That's BS.
I really hope we don't have to do any of that crap when Gilda is older.
I'd really rather not. School felt like jail to me.

julie said...

Talk about a flashback! That was nice of you to go. :)

CamiKaos said...

K's back to school night is next Thursday and kid's aren't welcome.

Jo Beaufoix said...

They don't do that over here. I'd have found it a bit scary, shiver.

Anonymous said...

Now if we could actually get the parents to CARE about education.

Knot

mielikki said...

knot- I do actually care about her education. That's why I went. But I would have welcomed an opportunity to actually SPEAK with a teacher, then be taught myself...