BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, September 12, 2008

Friday Mieography

In honor of Bubblewench's new machine



Meet Jacqueline Cocherane.

She got tired of her very nice plates being chipped when they were hand-washed. Being a wealthy woman, she had many dinner parties (and many servants to hand wash said dishes,) but still, what's a girl to do?

Invent a dishwasher, that's what.
So she did. She designed it so that a set of wife compartments, each wide enough enough to hold plates, cups, or saucers, were placed inside a wheel that laid flat inside a copper boiler. A mother turned the wheel, and pumped the soapy water from the bottom of the boiler. She showcased her machine at the World Exposition of 1893. At that time, the only places who could really use and benefit from it were hotels and restaurants. She established the Garis-Cochran Manufacturing Company, and it went on to become part of KitchenAid. In 1949, KtchenAid made the first dishwasher marketed to homes. Based on her design.
And the rest, my friends, is history....

6 comments:

Bubblewench said...

She is my new hero! Jacqueline Cocherane I love you! Thanks.

sybil law said...

Thank GOD for that woman!

Mimi said...

My new hero too! Yay!

Daryl said...

I have a dishwasher .. its the Ray 2008 model ... and it dries AND puts them away ...


Its a very limited edition/model but I have had it for years and it still works perfectly.


:-Daryl

mielikki said...

Daryl- I know of that model. My mom has one, too. But I think her dishwasher is older than yours.... and it doesn't work so perfectly anymore...

Mimi Syb and BW- I am certainly appreciative of what she did for us, as well!

holly said...

i have neither bubblewench's kind nor daryl's kind.

my dishwasher is me.

and she SO sucks at it!