BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, September 24, 2007

Best Friends

This post was stimulated in my brain by Cami who was answering the weekend question of David McMahon. (just go follow her link I'm tired today).

I had quite a collection of friends when I was little. We moved only a couple times, so there were friends I lost with that method, like Cami. One was a little girl named Amy, who lived in Hanford. I remember her house, but I don't have a clear memory of her. I was less than five, though, because I wasn't in Kindergarten yet. We moved, and I started Kindergarten in a town called Turlock. We were there till I was in 3rd grade. My main friend was a little blond girl named Tammy, but we played in a group with Lynn, and Tracey, and we always played House at recess. Lynn and Tracey liked to be animals, like horses, or kittens and such. It was fun. Tammy actually moved away, and my friend at school after that was a very fun little girl named Roxanne. She had one of the best birthday parties ever when we were kids.
Oddly, I had a different set of friends in my neighborhood. None of my school friends lived near me. Across the street, was Chrissie. Now, Chrissie was a Brat, but I really didn't have a whole lot of choice when we'd moved there. Her, and Jenny, the next door girl, already ran the street. Chrissie's mom was from New York, and made sure we all knew it. Chrissie had the same kind of personality. We had a real love-hate relationship, Chrissie and I did. When we moved away, I saw her once, as a teenager. She had a foul mouth and was still a brat. But got good grades in Catholic School so it supposedly didn't matter. Whatever.
Jenny moved away though, and that helped. A family moved in with their son, who was my age, named Casey. Casey was my sweetheart. He was also my best friend. We got along famously, and I much prefered going to play with Casey. We were inseperable for a long time. He moved away, and I was devastated. But I did get to see him, as they were local. They bought a farm, and I used to go there and play with him. It was my first time around livestock, and animals, and I really loved their little farm.
When we moved, I got another new friend, Jimmy. He lived "down the hill" from us, not too far. We stuck together for years, he was like my parents fourth child. He asked me to "go" with him a few times. I'd say yes, then leave break up letters in his mailbox. (What can I say, I was fickle). We knew each other all through highschool, but getting older, we'd grown apart. We both changed, and he not for the better, for awhile. He had a tough house to grow up in, with not much nurturing, and it left its mark. Around 6 years ago, I actually found Jimmy on "classmates". He is living somewhere in the northwest (I forget where). He told me he was gay, and happy. That is all good with me. But I never heard from him, again. It's kind of sad, he was the brother I never had.
A happy story, though, is my friend, Nancy. We met in softball, in 5th grade for me, 4th, for her. We were friends, quietly, and solidly, throughout our school lives. She is still my friend to this day. We share a Christmas together, we vacation together, she comes here, I go there. She has my back, I have hers. She knows me, as well as anyone can. Because she's known me for so long. Even if we have not talked for a few weeks, we can call each other and pick it right back up where it was. I am lucky to have a friend like her.
You will have to excuse me now, while I go call her, though, because now I want to talk to her!

Oh and if your reading this, Celtic Rose,no, your not chopped liver. The question was about childhood best friends. You, I chose when I was an adult!

9 comments:

CamiKaos said...

hooray for nancy!

sybil law said...

It's so good to have a friend who's known you forever!

Unknown said...

I now heart Nancy too!

mielikki said...

LOL I will be sure to tell Nancy she has a fan club!

David in DC said...

Who ever heard of Celtic chopped liver?

mielikki said...

DiDc-
faith and begorrah, it has potato's in it, and is a delicacy of Ireland, to be sure!
(she'll probably lob corned beef at me for this, too.)

julie said...

That's quite a story. Friendships are funny things.

Celtic Rose said...

Sure and I am hopin' that I am nae chopped liver!!!

Truly I appreciate our friendship . . . our friendship is relatively young, only about 7 years or so but it is a good solid friendship, with equal give and take. Plus having a similar twisted humor helps . . .

CelticRose

mielikki said...

Julie- yeah, friendships can be very strange and wonderful things. I'm so glad for the ones I have, old, and new!

CR- yes, the dreaded twisted humor. One finds that kind of necessary when they are friends with me, I'm afraid. It is a good thing you have that trait, too. . .