This one is very short, which is a bummer, I'd like to find more information about this lady.
Friday, February 26, 2010
Posted by mielikki at 8:23 AM
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Posted by mielikki at 6:19 AM
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
The Rules : Once you have been tagged (or commanded by the Queen) you are supposed to write down the top
Let's get started!
1. Thunder Road- Springsteen. I just love the lyric of this song, and the simplicity. I could be Mary, wanting to escape with a boy in a fast car that showed up to rescue me. I probably would have had I known such a boy...where was I when I first heard it? I don't know. It's always been present
2. Red Admiral Butterfly- James Galway and the Chieftains. I played the flute from 4th grade, to 12th grade. I was no slouch with the instrument, but listening to this particular song makes me wish that I could have played like either James Galway, or Matt Molloy, who bring me to tears when they play. Unless I am driving, I usually close my eyes when this song is on, it's just one I can feel. And sometimes, I need to listen to it at least two times to be satisfied.
3. You Don't Own Me- Lesley Gore. This is one of the first songs I remember hearing where a girl was not all sickly sweet over this boy, letting him do what ever he wanted. Instead, she called him out and plainly said that he did not own her, and she was not a toy. It resonated with me. I still know every word to this song. It is a very empowering song, one that I recommend to everyone.
4. Alison- Elvis Costello. I don't really know what it is about this song. I just love it. And Elvis Costello. And his wife Diana Krall for that matter...in its own way, this song is wistful, but fun, Mr. Costello has a way with lyric, I think. I was stationed in Japan when I first heard this song.
5. Hysteria- Def Leppard. Just hearing this song takes me back to the 80's, high school, and a lot of goofy stuff my friends and I did while listening to Def Leppard. Someone had the tape, and we listened to it at school during lunch on a regular basis. I can still smell the hairspray..
6. I Don't Wanna Play House- Tammy Wynette. My Dad introduced me to Ms. Tammy, and some of her songs are so heartbreaking. Her incredible voice helps. This one, in particular, struck a chord with me. Odd, because my parents have been together FOREVER, and I never really knew a divorced couple until I was at least 10 years old. My dad owned the record, which I swiped from him, and played upstairs in my bedroom all the time. It is another song that has always been in my musical memory.
7. Belly Dance- The Wicked Tinkers. I am betting most of you have not heard of the Tinkers. They are a bagpipe/metal-ish band. This song is mesmerizing, and its even better live and in person. I actually heard it live, first, at a local Celtic Faire. Then I went to their booth and bought all their CD's. They are national, though, and in iTunes if you are so inclined. You won't be disappointed...
Monday, February 22, 2010
It seems to me like lately, every time you turn on the television, you can find a reality show about home renovation. Usually, home renovation gone wrong.
Posted by mielikki at 5:55 AM
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
The UnValentine Grumpy Meme
1. I, Mimi Pencil Skirt Peace Woman, have officially declared war on Valentine's Day. If I see one more chocolate rose covered in stupid red tin foil paper I'm gonna have a fit. What did you get for Valentine's Day?
Well I did not get chocolate roses! I got a vase of tulips, which are my favorite flowers. Better yet, my Jeep got cleaned for me, which is EXCELLENT. And I got a sweet card, and then a card that involved Transvestites... awesome. We also had a nice dinner. (Am I going to the dungeon for this answer?...)
2. What will you miss most about Valentine's Day? I will miss, um, the opportunity for nice tulips, and cards with transvestites on them? Oh, and the conversation hearts.
3. What could you have done differently yesterday to make the day sweeter? Gotten more sleep, probably...
4. How many roses make a dozen? It depends on which person is giving them to you.
5. You and your love are getting matching tattoos for Valentine's Day. What will they be? Ouch. They will be non permanent Henna tattoos. Of sea turtles... (?....)
6. My kingdom for a man who can spell. I am so tired of getting text messages from college educated 45 yr old men like .....I miss u ....wat up?.... B there by 8... or the ever popular U home? Does your significant other have an annoying cute little habit you'd like to break? Yes, he reads my blog (Hi sweetheart!). Seriously. Um, annoying habit... annoying habit... he is a blanket hog in the cold weather...
7. What did you get someone for Valentine's Day, if I may ask? I got MM a tres romantic gift. A laser leveler with a tripod, some sour patch kids, the DVD Young Frankenstein, and a card.
8. No one is looking. I promise.
Write one word on this candy heart you've been dying to say to a romantic connection from your past. I will not tell. Just one word? I have to have four, and they are "Grow The Hell Up".
10. What song best describes your Valentine's Day experience this year?Bolero...
11. I, Mimi Grumpy Skirt, am so glad this meme is almost over. This is my final question. I made it eleven questions in honor of the 11 roses I didn't receive. Aren't
they lovely? This is my final final question, Regis:
Two cupids are in a knock down drag out fight on the floor of the Senate. One is a constituent from Venus, the other from Mars.
What is the name of the legislation are they fighting over? The Poisoned Tipped Arrow Ban
Monday, February 15, 2010
When I was a kid, there was nothing more fun then staying home from school and hanging out with my Dad. Not that I got away with that very often. But every now and again....
Posted by mielikki at 11:27 AM
Friday, February 12, 2010
Temple Grandin was born in Boston, Mass. to Richard and Eustacia Grandin. When she was three years old, she was diagnosed as autistic. It was recommended that she be institutionalized. INSTEAD, her mother placed her initially in a structured nursery school, got her some speech therapy, and had a nanny come in who could spend hours playing educational games with her, and her sister. When she was four, she began talking, and making progress. She went to 'traditional' schools, but has said that middle, and high school were the worst years of her life. She was incessantly teased and picked on, with people calling her "tape recorder" because she repeated things over and over again. She ended up attending "Hampshire Country School", a boarding school for gifted children. She went on to college, earning a bachelor's degree in psychology, and a masters degree in animal science, and a doctorate in animal science, as well.
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Step out of the box. Be creative.
Use your imagination.No one's answers are quite like yours.
Fun for the whole family, right? Hmmm....depends on your taste. Whether you're a fan of circus tricks, sweaty animals in a ring, fire breathers and bearded ladies or you find it all just a wee bit offensive, never let it be said that memers in blogland have no opinions on the matter. Whatever your preference, these photos leave much to the imagination and could be explained in a variety of ways. I found some amazing lithographs from the early 1900s depicting the Greatest Show on Earth and some from Cirque du Soleil. Back in the day when the circus was the circus instead of a commercial fest and a legal team from PETA standing behind each elephant.
I've provided ten pictures from the wonderful public domain land of Wikimedia.org.
Your job is to caption them.
Use humor, satire, serious commentary, personal recollections of your own circus experiences or just plain silliness...I'm sure you can find something to write about that will make us laugh, cry, or think.
I warn you though. This picture meme isn't as easy as it looks.
Let's get started.
What Jim Morrison really meant when he sang "Come on Baby Light My Fire"
I'm Henry the 8th I am...
If only I'd chewed off my opposable thumbs...
Where were you ten years ago..
Bitch, you stole my boyfriend, you only THINK I am going to catch you
Horse: "I wish this lady would stop wearing stiletto's"
Posted by mielikki at 12:00 AM
Monday, February 8, 2010
I am a fan of sleep. Always have been. I get really kind of pissy when I don't get any. (I am sure many of you notice that!)
Friday, February 5, 2010
Posted by mielikki at 8:35 AM
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
1. An unexpected blizzard occurs. The power goes out for 10 days. There is no food in the house, no gas in the car, no heat, no TV, no computer, nada! You are snowed in and can't get to the store for supplies. How would you survive? How would you get out of this mess?
Lucky enough for me, we live on a property with plenty of trees, and we have fire wood. I have a snow shovel and I know how to use it. I can get a fire going, melt snow into acceptable water, and, well, I have 2 dogs, 3 cats, and a fish tank...
2. Tell us about your last snowball fight. During the winter those are a semi regular thing around here. If we walk out the front door, and there is snow, someone is going to get pelted with it. Even if it's just one of the dogs.
3. You have been asked to make a snowman. What is his name? Periwinkle
4. I have mountains of snow outside my door. I would like to make snow soup. What is the recipe? STAY AWAY FROM THE YELLOW SNOW. Other than that, just get a big pot, some local vegetation, and go for it! Snow soup is never made the same way, twice.
5. It is Day 5 of the Big Blog Blizzard. You have been hunkered down for a very long time and in danger of losing your sanity. Your blog neighbors (that would be us) come callin' to see if you're OK. We peek in the window. What do we see?
What are you doing in there? You more than likely see me sitting there, typing on a dead computer, and talking to the 22 pound black cat like she understands me....
6. Who is the flakiest snowflake in your life?
Past or present. We are each, in our own way, a different kind of snowflake. For me to pick out the flakiest would tax my brain too much
7. You are Snow White. Which dwarf is your favorite and why? Sleepy. Because I love a good nap.
8. What is the most fun you've ever had inside during a snowstorm? I enjoy just being INSIDE during the snow storm, relaxing with my family, happy that we are all safe, and warm and don't have to venture out into it!
9. What was Jack Frost nipping at? Jack is a meanie, and nips at anything he can get to in his realm. I think his mom didn't breastfeed him...
10. Due to blobal warming (that's blog + global for all you non-blog speakers) your snowman has prematurely melted. What was his last request? That we turn him into snow soup
Monday, February 1, 2010
Oh, for heavens sake
Its already February.
It just doesn't seem possible to me. Time is just flying. I blink, and more time escapes me. This is a big month in our house. Mustang Man and I both have birthdays this month, and, of course, there is VD... the day used to harass men into buying women costly jewelry, flowers, and other baubles. (For the record, I love the romantic notion of the day, just not the 'purchase costly things!' message that has been associated with it).
a busy month for us. I have the honor (cough cough) of turning 40 (gasp) this month.
I am struggling some, with that. Honestly, I am.
I can hear some of you now, saying to me, as others already have "its just a number". Yes. It is a number. I get that. But its going to be MY number. And, I just don't quite know how to feel about it.
it even looks odd to me..
Posted by mielikki at 1:23 AM