BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hello from the Dungeon!

to visit me in the dungeon, go here (oh, and you can see the other people's answers there, too...)

The Rules : Once you have been tagged (or commanded by the Queen) you are supposed to write down the top 25 SEVEN songs you cannot live without. The ones you can listen to over and over and never get tired of. They don't have to be in any particular order. These are the songs that make you laugh, cry, think of an old friend, whatever the reason. I know it's impossible for many of us to narrow it down to seven. There are just too many songs. Instead, make a list of seven songs that move you personally and tell us why. What memory does the song evoke? What emotion? Where were you when you first heard it? We'd like to know what's in your musical memory bank. Name seven songs and tell us about youremotional connection to the song.
Fair enough?


Let's get started!

1. Thunder Road- Springsteen. I just love the lyric of this song, and the simplicity. I could be Mary, wanting to escape with a boy in a fast car that showed up to rescue me. I probably would have had I known such a boy...where was I when I first heard it? I don't know. It's always been present

2. Red Admiral Butterfly- James Galway and the Chieftains. I played the flute from 4th grade, to 12th grade. I was no slouch with the instrument, but listening to this particular song makes me wish that I could have played like either James Galway, or Matt Molloy, who bring me to tears when they play. Unless I am driving, I usually close my eyes when this song is on, it's just one I can feel. And sometimes, I need to listen to it at least two times to be satisfied.

3. You Don't Own Me- Lesley Gore. This is one of the first songs I remember hearing where a girl was not all sickly sweet over this boy, letting him do what ever he wanted. Instead, she called him out and plainly said that he did not own her, and she was not a toy. It resonated with me. I still know every word to this song. It is a very empowering song, one that I recommend to everyone.

4. Alison- Elvis Costello. I don't really know what it is about this song. I just love it. And Elvis Costello. And his wife Diana Krall for that matter...in its own way, this song is wistful, but fun, Mr. Costello has a way with lyric, I think. I was stationed in Japan when I first heard this song.

5. Hysteria- Def Leppard. Just hearing this song takes me back to the 80's, high school, and a lot of goofy stuff my friends and I did while listening to Def Leppard. Someone had the tape, and we listened to it at school during lunch on a regular basis. I can still smell the hairspray..

6. I Don't Wanna Play House- Tammy Wynette. My Dad introduced me to Ms. Tammy, and some of her songs are so heartbreaking. Her incredible voice helps. This one, in particular, struck a chord with me. Odd, because my parents have been together FOREVER, and I never really knew a divorced couple until I was at least 10 years old. My dad owned the record, which I swiped from him, and played upstairs in my bedroom all the time. It is another song that has always been in my musical memory.

7.
Belly Dance- The Wicked Tinkers. I am betting most of you have not heard of the Tinkers. They are a bagpipe/metal-ish band. This song is mesmerizing, and its even better live and in person. I actually heard it live, first, at a local Celtic Faire. Then I went to their booth and bought all their CD's. They are national, though, and in iTunes if you are so inclined. You won't be disappointed...

Now because I am in the dungeon, I am going to take liberties with this weeks meme (which will probably get me more time, but what the hell) and list seven PRISON songs (no, not poison songs, Bret Michael is a horrid toad) that I am probably listening to, curled up in the corner with my threadbare blanket, and my vase of tulips....

1. Folsom Prison Blues- Johnny Cash
2. Jailbreak- AC/DC
3. Chain Gang- Sam Cooke
4. Jailhouse Rock- Elvis
5. Nebraska- Springsteen
6. Cell Block Tango- from Chicago
7. In the Jailhouse Now- from O brother where art thou

6 comments:

sybil law said...

Lovin' the prison songs!! :)

sybil law said...

Oh - and Diana Krall is awesome! Some guy I apparently knew in Boston was on tour with her, but I don't remember him.

Anonymous said...

Great lists!! Are you being fed properly in the dungeon??? Don't want the dungeon-keeper slacking off..

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Good answers. The prison songs were super!

Mimi said...

MEEEEEEE! I've heard the Wicked Tinkers!

Great list!

The Gal Herself said...

#3 and #4 are such dark, interesting choices. And I agree about Elvis -- "My aim is true," is a great lyric.