Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Tuesday, March 30, 2010
It’s your turn to be the expert. Answer what NOT to do in the following situations.
It’s your spin on potential societal blunders (and a few quirky scenarios you might find yourself in). You didn't think I'd leave my quirk home now did ya?
Have at it.
1. On a first date Bring the 1ow40 and your tawse, especially after you've asked your Date to take you to a place with a strip pole
2. Intoxicated DRIVE
3. In the shower make toast
4. At your ex’s wedding Object
6. being stalked let your guard down
7. Stuck to an igloo Start a fire
8. In sewing class Stab your seat mate with pinking shears
9. Asleep in a helium balloon Fart
11. On a nude beach use your magnifying glass (or maybe you should. Hmmm)
12. At the opera Snore
13. you’re falling in love Reference your ex too much
14. Low on gasoline in a bad part of town Unlock your doors
16. On fire Grab an oxygen tank
17. Lost at the mall ask the kid at the Orange Julius stand for directions
18. At a single’s dance Show off your engagement ring
19. Riding a bike on the Jersey Turnpike look for Tony Soprano
21. Being robbed at gunpoint Backtalk the man with the gun
22. Kissing Burp
23. Paying the hotel cashier Reference the (now empty) mini bar
24. Buying lingerie ask someone else to try it on for you
25. In Queen Mimi's dungeon Uh, give Homer baklava?... oh, wait... um...
Friday, March 26, 2010
Instead of doing a Friday Mieography, I am going to send all of you few readers
Posted by mielikki at 8:07 AM
Thursday, March 25, 2010
I am actually writing something on a Thursday!
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
It's a little longer than usual but I just couldn't stop in 140 words or less. Sorry.
1. Facebook has now surpassed Google in number of users and traffic.
How much time do you spend on Facebook? If not FB, do you use Twitter? I Facebook, and try to spend as little time as I can get away with on there, but, sometimes... I deleted my Twitter account a long time ago, though
2. What is Farmville? I do not understand why people are asking me for margarine. I REFUSE to get trapped into Farmville, so I am clueless
3. Do you war in the Mafia Wars? I do not understand why people are asking me for cows. Again, the answer to this is NO. I am not gonna play this game,either
4. What is Cafe World? I do not understand why people are asking me for bullets! Nope. Three strikes and I'm out!
5. Are you being bombarded with these "See Who Has Been Looking At your Profile - See Who Your Peeps Are?"application request lately?
I don't understand why people are asking me for my photograph and that of my dogs. I feel like I am failing this Meme, because I don't do this either...
6. Which FB or Twitter applications, tags or gifts irritate you the most and why?That is easily Farmville. I've been pestered with it for months, despite my repeated status updates stating that I will not, nor will I ever, have a farm...
7. Every morning I am faced with the question at the top of my Facebook profile page, "What's On Your Mind?" Now Mr. Online Mailman wants to know the same thing. Does the whole world need to know what I'm thinking at every moment? I can't write that in a public place ya know. But if you had to answer that question honestly at 9:00 am each morning, what would you say? Easy. SLEEP is on my mind. If I have worked the night before, I am really sleepy. If not, odds are I just got up and am looking for any excuse to go BACK to my bed.
8. Do you know how you became friends and followers with everyone in your list on Facebook and Twitter? Honestly? Yes. There are some, though, that I *barely* remember from high school. I think they were just looking for a Farmville buddy... mwaa haa haa
9. Have you ever been deceived online by someone you thought was someone else? How did you know? Been lucky enough not to have fallen into this one, because I am suspicious of everyone :)
10. Do you enjoy chatting via Yahoo Messenger or AOL the old-fashioned way? If so, who do you chat with most online? Each morning, MM and chat on MSN messenger before I go to bed (after I've worked). It's a nice way to kind of wind down, and reconnect, talk about things. I occasionally end up chatting with family on the FB chat thing.
11. Have you ever been contacted on Facebook or via email under false pretenses, for dubious purposes, or by meddling nosy people in general? I wouldn't call her dubious, but this one lady tried to "friend" me, thinking I was from her Aerobics class in Florida....
12. Think about it. We are all flitting around making bird noises on the internet. What would the PETA people say?! Can you think of a more suitable animal mascot for Twitter? What kind of sound would we make? How about a Narwhal, and we could all make whale noises?
13. What kind of new cool innovative application would you like to see on Facebook or Twitter? What would you call it? Plain and simple. I'd like a dislike button on Facebook. And an 'extreme dislike' button that involved a hand reaching out of the computer and slapping someone!
14. Have you ever had to block someone from Facebook or Twitter? Um... I've blocked certain people that don't do anything but the annoying applications.... but they don't realize I've blocked them, because basically I just hid their stuff... (shhhh!)
15. Do you allow your real life friends to communicate with you there or do you prefer to be incognito to the universe at large? My 'real life' friends are all over there, and I would not be opposed to my online friends finding me on FB, a few of them have. Strangely enough, most of my 'real life' friends don't read my blog.... I bore them live and in person, I guess
16. Do you belong to any CAUSES on Facebook or Twitter? If so, what makes you passionate about them and why did you join? I belong to the cancer causes, and the veterans causes, because I am affected by both of those things.
17. Do you know what a Twibe is? Not a flipping clue.
18. Have you ever rage twitted? Tell me! Nope, failing once again
19. I find that more and more people are reading my blogs on Facebook and commenting there. Do you share your blog posts on Facebook? Do you find that it helps or hinders your blog traffic? I don't put my blog on FB, the people that really want to read it know where to find it. I am not worried about blog traffic, I guess...
Don't you be foolin' me now. There's always the dreaded dungeon.
I wonder if there's an app for that. Hmmmm......If I friend you do I get out of the dungeon? Mwaa haa haa. Are you sure you'd recognize me?
Monday, March 22, 2010
I can't think, its Monday!! so here are a few tidbits of what is going on.
Posted by mielikki at 8:43 AM
Friday, March 19, 2010
Rosalyn Sussman was born in New York City, daughter of Simon, and Clara. Her mother was a German Immigrant, and her father had been born in NYC. Neither one of them had a high school education, but they were determined that their children would go to college. They had no money for books, so her brother would take her to the library, weekly for reading material.
Posted by mielikki at 10:58 AM
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
And I am supposed to make my Bucket List.
Posted by mielikki at 7:51 AM
Monday, March 15, 2010
I was eating lunch with the family the other day, at a small diner that had some music (cough cough) being piped in. Music is usually always around me, whether it's my own internal soundtrack, or what is playing so that everyone else can hear it.
Saturday, March 13, 2010
Yesterday was my Blog-a-versary.
Posted by mielikki at 4:07 PM
Friday, March 12, 2010
Posted by mielikki at 8:13 AM
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
Never is never enough no matter what you should be doing. Not ever! See? But in this fill-in-the-blank exercise you can be as dogmatic and brutal as you dare.
After today's meme, lose the words.
Oh, never mind.
1. If I never see __spaghetti__________again it will be too soon.
2. Should I meet my Maker tomorrow, I would ask for one more day on earth to _____________say a proper goodbye to my loved ones________.
3. Never in my life have I ______coughed________like I did today.
4. I should always allow more time to ___un fog my brain______.
5. I should've never listened to __myself_______ while under the influence of ___teenage hormones__________.
6. I never ____sleep_______in my car but I should always carry _____pillows_________with me just in case.
7. I should spend more money on ______tea_ because it makes me happy. I should spend less money on __cough syrup_______because it makes me sad.
8. _________head colds____ should never be shared with strangers.
9. I should tell _my bed__________that I never really meant to __get up___________.
10. Never in a million years would I want you to know ___how much snot I've produced in the last week
Monday, March 8, 2010
MM and I got an unexpected gift from our weekend in Monterey last weekend.
Posted by mielikki at 7:47 AM
Friday, March 5, 2010
Meet Sally Kristen Ride. Most of us have some sort of memory of her, right? Because she is still alive!
She was born in Encino, California where she spent much time going to school, and playing tennis. She began playing tennis at age 10, and was nationally ranked by the time she was college aged. She was accepted to, and began her education at Swarthmore College, but dropped out to pursue a tennis career. 3 months of this showed her she wasn't cut out for this, so, she enrolled at Stanford. She graduated at 27 years old, with a B.A., B.S. and a Master's Degree. (in Physics) She decided to to her doctorate work in astrophysics, also at Stanford. During this time, NASA put out a call in the Stanford paper looking for astronaut candidates. She was one one of 8000 to apply, and one of SIX women to be accepted into the program. Only 35 people were chosen out of the 8000.
She went through rigorous training at NASA, parachute jumping, water survival, gravity and weightlessness training (if only we could all have 'weightlessness training'.). She enjoyed the flight training so much it became her favorite hobby. During her training, she was the Capsule Communicator for the second, and third Space Shuttle flights, and helped to develop the Space Shuttle's robot arm.
On June 18, 1983, she became the first American woman in space, as a crewmember on the Space Shuttle Challenger. They deployed 2 communication sattellites, did some pharmaceutical experiments, and were the first to use the robot arm. She went up again, on the Challenger, in 1984. She was in training for her 3rd flight when the Challenger exploded. After that, she was named to the Presidential Commission for investigating the accident, and headed the subcommittee on Operations. After the investigation, she was then assigned to NASA headquarters in Washington, DC. While there, she became more involved with the future of the Space program, writing a report called "Leadership and America's future in space", and she founded NASA's Office of Exploration.
She left NASA in 1987, and took a job back at Stanford, at the Stanford University Center for International Security and Arms Control. During this time, she was briefly married to another astronaut. It ended in divorce. In 1989, she became a professor of physics as UC San Diego, and the director of the California Space Institute. In 2003, she was asked to serve on the SPace Shuttle Columbia Accident Investigation board.
Now on leave from the University, she is the president, and CEO of Sally Ride Science, a company she founded in 2001 that creates science programs, and publications for elementary and middle school students, with a particular focus on girls. She has also written, and co-written multiple books about space, aimed at children, to encourage them to study science.
She has won multiple awards, including the Lindbergh Eagle,and the National Spaceflight Medal, twice. She has been inducted into the National Woman's Hall of Fame, and the Astronaut Hall of Fame. 2 elementary schools are named after her, (Texas, and Maryland), and she was also inducted into the California Hall of Fame.
Posted by mielikki at 8:09 AM
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
Tuesday, March 2, 2010
and it's likely I will stay there for the forseeable future...
1. What year were the very very very first Olympics held? In the year of-478 BT. (not sure what BT is? I can't tell you, or I'd get scolded)
2. The original games were banned for being a pagan festival because the Olympics celebrated the Greek God of........??
none of the above. They were celebrating the Greek GODDESS of Cheese, Feta.
3. In 1896 the first modern-day Olympic Summer Games were held. Which country won the most medals that year? Aquitaine. Because Alienor is still alive and coaching their team...
4. Which country has won the most medals EVER at the Winter Games? Anjou, because they were trying to run away from Aquitaine.
5. I predict that Blogging will become the next Olympic event recognized by the International Olympic Committee as a valid sport. How would you train for this event? And if you think it should be a team event, who would you include on your team? See I think I'd have to have tryouts for my blogging team. You'd all have to come to California, sample some Death Rum Punch or one of MM's magic Margarita's, we'd play spin the bottle, and then see who could type the fastest... and then, after that, the training could start in ernest...
6. What do the five Olympic rings represent? The rings of a Chastity Belt
7. No country in the Southern Hemisphere has ever hosted the Winter Games? Why? Because their accents are too thick...
8. What the heck is curling? Why should it be a sport??The only curling that I could objectively see as a sport is the curling of eyelashes. And the sport is keeping your tongue in your mouth while you're doing that, and applying the mascara...
9. Mark Spitz won 11 medals in the most combined overall medals category. What was his sport?
A. Skiing B. Swimming C. Looking good D. Resigning from public office after a sordid scandal
10. In ancient times females were forbidden to watch the games.
What was the penalty for doing so? Having to give massages to the Curlers
11. In 1908 the organizers of the London Olympic Games added another 385 yards in order for the royal family to have a better view of the finish line.
Which sport was it? Croquet, of course...
12. What event would you like to see added to the Olympics? Why?Baklava Baking. Because that is a REAL challenge
Extra credit and a guarantee you won't end up with no medal or meal in the dungeon this week.
What was your favorite Olympic event or moment to witness this year at the 2010 Olympics? I didn't get to see a whole lot of it, but I did enjoy the Hockey this year...
Monday, March 1, 2010
This weekend was amazing..
Posted by mielikki at 9:13 AM