BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Pulla recipe, if anyone is wanting it.

Ingredients:
2 packages dry active yeast
1/2 c. warm water (110 deg.)
1 1/2 c. warm milk
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
4 eggs
2 tsp. cardamom (fresh ground is best)
9 c. flour
2 cubes melted butter

In a large bowl, combine yeast and water, let it sit for 5 minutes to soften the yeast. Then, blend in milk, sugar, salt, eggs, cardamom, and 4 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth. Add the butter, then blend. Next, you STIR in 4.5 cups of flour (this is where it is very sticky, and you might add tiny bits more of flour.)
Coat a breadboard with remaining flour, scoop dough onto it, pat flour over the surface, and knead until it is smooth and satiny. (5-10 minutes.) Place the dough in a greased bowl, and let rise until double in size. (usually around the 2 hour mark.)
Knead the dough once more on a lightly floured board just to expell the air. Divide the dough into 12 pieces, then roll out the pieces to resemble rope. Usually 12 inches long. Do this 3 pieces at a time, then braid the pieces, just like you braid hair. Tuck the ends under, and set aside, letting it re rise for 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.

Before I bake mine, I brush it with egg wash, then sprinkle on slivered almonds.

This is traditionally made for Easter, and if you braid it very loose, you can actually put easter eggs into the braid after its done. We eat it so fast that I never even bother to do that. It is also so very good toasted.

3 comments:

CamiKaos said...

easter my ass, all day every day if I could have it. I think I will ask Mr. Kaos to give it a shot. He's much better at bread making than I am.

mielikki said...

If he has any questions, I would be more than happy to answer them. I got it right on the first try, however. Just tell him to talk to Grandma Mary while he makes it! and yes, I make it whenever I want it!

Bubblewench said...

I am so bad at bread.. I'll have to pass on this one!