BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, August 5, 2007

Macaroni and Cheese Recipe-sorry Moonbeam!

Start by making a basic bechamel sauce
3 tbs each of butter, and flour. Heat these in a saucepan, whisking until it is lump free. Add three cups of milk, and then, temper in an egg. (Take part of the warm sauce out of the pan into a cup, break the egg into that and stir it in, then add it back to the sauce pan. If you add the egg directly, it's too hot and the egg will actually scramble).
Next, is the cheese. I use fontina, a soft white Italian cheese, it melts well. And I use lot's of Cheddar. My favorite one to use is Hoffman's sharp cheddar cheese. I use a lot of cheese, so its really cheesy! Grate the cheese and stir it in, to your taste.

While your doing this boil large elbow macaroni al-dente. When it's all done, throw it into a casserole dish, and mix it. Now is a good time to salt and pepper it as well. For the top, grate more cheddar on to the top. Then, take some melted butter, and stir some Panko bread crumbs into it, and spread that on top of it, to make a crunchy crust. Then, bake it in the oven, for 30-40 minutes, until its all bubbly.
It does get VERY HOT so let it sit for a few minutes before serving. It makes GREAT leftovers, too. And you can use any kind of cheese you like.

Sorry about taking down the last post, I just got a little second-guessy about some of it, and would have rather been safer, than sorry! Argh. Gotta stop doing that. ;)

7 comments:

Moonbeam said...

Oh my gosh...how nice of you. Thank you!!

I usually just make a basic white sauce without the egg, and add sharp tillamook cheese but yours sounds so much better. Plus bechamel sounds so much yummier than just a plain old white sauce.

I will give it a whirl. I am in diet mode right now, but will treat myself to this comfort food when needed.

I completly understand about second guessing yourself. I think we all do that at some point after fingering the send key. Wait that doesnt sound right. :) After hitting the send key sounds better.

Anyhoo...thanks again for the recipe and for taking time to post.

mielikki said...

No problem, Moonbeam. It is for sure not a diet food, but a nice comfort food! I don't make it very often, and sent most of it home with newman.

CamiKaos said...

Having read the other post, I think you did the right thing... BW may not agree though since she didn't catch it before it went down

rofl

David in DC said...

Arrrgh. I'm pretty sure I read it, but cannot, for the life of me, recall its content.

I think I'n suffering from Halfshimer's disease.

Or C.R.A.F.T. syndrome. (Can't Remember a Freakin' Thing) (Yes, I cleaned that up a bit.)

Bubblewench said...

Doesn't matter - I agree. If you FELT it was an issue - it was. Glad you took it down.

AND a little suggestion for the mac & cheese, as I am also a queen macer maker, I use spiral noodles or those ones that look like those snacks that you would put on the ends of your fingers for witch hands and scare your brother with... bugles?

Anyway, stick with the sauce, but use different noodles for diversity. :)

mielikki said...

I tried that, but the sauce doesn't have a place to "go" on those noodles, and the leftovers are not as good, for some reason. I like the little shells, too (Oreichetti, means "little ear" in italian). It's all about how much cheesy goodness I can get to stick to the pasta!

sybil law said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Can't you just mail me some?!
Oh okay - I'll try and make it when Gilda is home.
I like macaroni, too. I like when the sauce gets inside the noodles. Oh, cheesy goodness.....