BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Do we really know the cost of what happened, on the day that "Little Boy" was dropped on Hiroshima, (Aug. 6th) and "Fat Man" was dropped on Nagasaki? (Aug 9th).

There are pro's and con's to this arguement. I've heard quite a few of them. And, having lived in Japan for two years, I have "seen" both sides of the coin. I never went to Hiroshima, or Nagasaki. I didn't really have enough days off to travel there, and to be honest, I didn't want to. Even at 18, I knew the impact that those bombs had on that region. I knew it would really disturb me to see it. I should have gone, anyhow.

Today, I am watching a documentary, which is nothing but some of the few survivors talking about that day. Its called "White Light, Black Rain". If you can stomach it, I highly recommend it. It is another perspective on what happened. Be warned, though. It's graphic. Very graphic. Even I flinched, and had to look away. And I have yet to watch the whole thing. (I recorded it, for some reason.)

It is said that these bombs were a large part in finally ending the war. They made obvious to Japan that we, the Allies, WERE going to be the victors, no matter what the cost. And, they did their job. Japan completely surrendered in less than a week after the bombs were dropped. A familiar, comfortable way to justify the dropping of these bombs is "we saved lives by taking lives." Its a mighty high price.

The cost? Civilians. Innocent people. The people in this documentary.
I understand this happens in war. But I don't like it.
And it makes me wonder. What are they going to do next to end this "war" we are in now?

Okay, getting off my soapbox. Going to go get ready for the birthday extraveganza. (Perhaps, this morning was not the best time for me to watch this documentary?)

2 comments:

DaddyKaos said...

It probably was not the best idea to watch today, BIL would probably not share the opinion of anyone who questioned the decision to drop those things. Hope you survived the day.

sybil law said...

I've seen it - you're right - it is graphic!
I think war, up close or shown to us through the human element, is always depressing, sad; you name it.
But I do think some wars were... well, pretty much necessary. It would be great if we lived in a world where they weren't, but that just ain't gonna happen.
Good post!
And have fun at the party!! Whoohooooooo! :)