BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"It was missing a piece. . .

and it was not happy".

This is the opening line to a book that I received as a child, and is still in my collection.
It is a book that actually changed my life. I didn't know it at the time, because, I didn't fully understand it when I first got it. My Aunt S, who gave it to me, knew that I wouldn't understand it, but told me to hang onto it, and someday, I would. She was so very right.
The book is called "The Missing Piece", by Shel Silverstein * Warning, I am going to discuss this book now. Its a short book. And yes, I will spoil it for you. But even if I do, it's worth going and purchasing. And keeping forever. (CK, not you. K is going to get it for Christmas. . . unless she somehow already got it. Probably from Aunt S. if she did. . .)
It's seemingly a simple plot. There is this round guy, (the zoloft rock resembles him.) But, the round guy, is missing a piece of himself. Kind of like a pizza missing a slice. He slowly rolls through life, looking for his missing piece. He smells flowers, talks to bugs, and sings little ditty's. He tries some pieces, even tries to force some pieces in. Some pieces don't want to have anything to do with him. Some, are too eager, and annoy him. One day, he finds the piece that he thinks is the perfect fit. But, once a "whole" circle, he rolls too fast, running over the flowers, going to fast to talk to the bugs, and, worst yet, he can't sing ditties anymore, either. (Apparently, the piece that was missing functioned as his mouth.). So, in the end, he gently lays the piece down, and rolls away, slowly, softly singing
"Oh I'm looking for my missing piece". . .
I still get just a little bit teary.
The lessons I took from this book, once I was old enough to see the whole picture?
No matter how much you want to, you can't force anything (or anyone) to "fit".
Be selective in the pieces you do try to "fit"
Enjoy life while you are looking for your missing piece. Sing, talk to the bugs, and smell the flowers.
What seems to fit "perfectly" often does not. Don't be fooled. If you are, you'll roll through life too fast to really enjoy the small things.
Sometimes, you have to let go, to be happy.
And, sadly, sometimes, you won't find the missing piece. But you should always look.
I love this book!
There are countless other Shel Silverstein books that are good, too. Like the Giving Tree. Which is also a great life lesson. I have all his books now. But, "The Missing Piece" will always have a special place in my heart.

And, no this post has nothing to do with Newman. We had a great weekend together this week. I just felt the need to talk about one of my favorite books ever, today. . .

6 comments:

CamiKaos said...

I could cry right now. The Missing Piece is one of my favorite books. I love most things written by Shel Silverstein. And no, K does not have it, she has The Giving Tree, A Light In the Attic and Where the Sidewalk Ends.

Anybody, if you have never read Shel Silverstein for some reason GO FORTH. Get his books. They are beautiful.

M: It will be such a lovely addition to our home and to K's library.

Celtic Rose said...

They sound wonderful . . .
It is great when a child's book has no age barrier.

David in DC said...

I love Shel Silverstein. To this day, I cannot read The Giving Tree without crying.

He also wrote the lyrics for Johnny Cash's hit "A Boy Named Sue".

NanaKaos said...

CK did a momolog of "The Giving Tree" for a drama grade. As I recall she had to read it aloud alot to even begin to get through it with many tears. I believe she got kudos and a very good grade for her effort. NK

sybil law said...

Gooood book.
I am getting a little cranky with this mum's the word crap about your dates with newman, though!
But I'll live! Maybe. :)

Bubblewench said...

I belive Boy Named Sue is in either Light in the Attic or Where the Sidewalk Ends.

Love that book, but what the heck and I going to get K for xmas now? beeoootttccchh...

Shel Silverstein rocks.

OH crap - you better send Syb an email update on Newman!!