BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, January 26, 2009

Home is where....

Recently, MM has been taking an online English class. As a consequence, he is forced to sit at the computer and write down ideas about this and that. Various topics, nothing earth shattering (yet).
One has cropped up, recently, though, that has generated some verbal discussion around here, and some net discussion on the message boards for his class.
Home. Where is it?
Many people always feel that the home they grew up in is their home. I think to feel that way, one has to have been lucky enough to actually grow up in ONE house. I had that privilege, we lived in the same house from the time I was in forth grade until I left it to join the Navy. My parents are still there. I moved back there briefly after my ill fated marriage. Is it home?
No.
It wasn't even 'home' to me after I moved back. Just didn't have that 'home' feeling.
I''ve lived in a few places since then, apartments. I can tell you when I got a job in my little town at my little hospital, as I was coming into town for the first time, for my interview, I had this feeling come over me, of belonging. I knew it was the right place for me to come, and stay. So I did.
But my first apartment here?
Was lovely. But not really 'home'.
though it felt like it to other people. I would commonly get people commenting on how "home-y" my place was.
My second apartment DID feel like home. I loved the fireplace, the balcony, the whole thing. Except the disgusting down stairs neighbor. And truthfully, the Village Idiot kind of took away some of the 'home' feeling from it, by over decorating it. I took a lot of that down when he left, and got some of my peaceful inner sanctum back.
But now, I live in a house. With people and dogs and cats and stuff . And this?
Is totally home.
And, what really makes it home?
Are the people in it.
(I knew that but it does bear mentioning)
right now, MM is in the kitchen, quoting "Home on the Range" to me, followed by the battle cry from Juno, "Thundercats are Gooooo!"
yep. Home.
we gots it.

5 comments:

sybil law said...

Yep. Home is where you feel it, for sure.
:)

Mary said...

I lived in the same house until I was 18, and my parents still live there. For a long time, that was my definition of home. But not anymore.

Now, without a doubt, home is wherever DH and the kidlets are. My house is just simply shelter, my family is my home.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree about "home". We moved a lot growing up so I never had a "home".

I bought my first house with my husband about 5 years ago (we still live in it). This is definitely home and I love it.

Eaton Bennett aka Berenice Albrecht said...

Like Mary, I lived in the same family home until I was 20. That place was home for a very long time after married and moved out. In the 36 years I've been married to my man I've shifted 27 times. Home no
longer is a place, but where my heart is. :)

holly said...

i thought home was wherever you go when you click your heels three times.

i keep ending up in borders. that must be my home. why don't they leave ice cream out for me?