BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

the talk

no not that talk.
a different talk.

I started watching a movie, this cold morning, called P.S. I Love You. It is about a woman who becomes a very young widow. She managed to actually design the urn that his cremated ashes were placed in.
MM and I are conversing, back and forth via IM like we do, during the day when he is at work and I am home, and I let him know that I am not going to design an urn for him. Like I have ever done that, anyhow.
Of course, this spurs us into a conversation about what he WOULD want.
And the answer surprises me.
He would like to be buried at sea. And his ashes should be implanted into an artificial reef.
Yes, seriously.
Now, take a minute, and give this some thought.
it means he isn't taking up any ground space, and, he is giving back to an environment that he loves, the ocean. I think this is a really great idea, actually, and it's got me thinking, what do I want? Do I want to be buried in the ground like the "normal" people? I thought I did, but now, this idea is really appealing to me. Except, I don't want to be cremated. Something about fire, and ashes, and me. Though, it would not really be me. I know that. But still, the thought of that hot flame....
Anyhow.
I did digress there.
What, exactly do I want when my time is up?
Now, I don't exactly know.
But I have time to think about it.
Plenty of time.

7 comments:

Lori said...

I want to be donated. My whole body- donated. I don't care if people make fun of my genitals or dress me up like a dork while they're in med school. I know that they need real bodies to work on and I'd like to think that maybe, just maybe by using mine they'll develop something cool to help a bunch of others.

MM said...

That's awesome, I read the book Stiff that talks about the different uses of donated bodies, very interesting and enlightening.

Mary said...

I read the book Stiff as well. It actually made my mind up for me. I want to be buried in a biodegradable coffin with enzymes that speed up decomposition placed in with me. Instead of a traitional headstone, I want a shrub and a little plaque.

I think it would be nice for my greatgrandkids to come and visit me while I'm a lilac in full bloom.

Mimi said...

Dh and I agree, I want to be buried in a simple box in an Orthodox cermony. If time allows, I'd love him to make my casket.

Dh wants to be cremated. Since I wish him to respect my wishes, I want to respect his wishes.

mielikki said...

Mary, that idea sounds appealing as well, I didn't really consider enzymes that would rapidly decompose someone.
MM do we have that book? I have not seen it. Maybe I should get it
Mimi- that is great, the respect.. My Mom STILL refuses to consider letting my Dad get cremated.
Lori- I just can't imagine letting someone dissect me. But I think it's totally awesome that you are going to do that.

Anonymous said...

Such an interesting (if slightly depressing) subject.

I want all my organs donated if possible and then my husband can do whatever he wants with the rest of me. If he wants a headstone to visit - great, if he wants to throw my ashes into the throw - that's fine with me.

The only thing I request is that I have a party, rather than a funeral. I had a good time (and I plan to keep having one for quite awhile) and I'd rather buy everyone one last drink then force them to put on a sad, black dress.

holly said...

i want them to melt me into a liquid, then put me in several different pots. they should add a different colour to each pot, then paint a lovely picture with me. that is what i want. that's not crazy, right?