BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The art of writing letters

The advent of email, and computers and all of our modern technology is staggering, isn't it?
Most of us remember typewriters, word processors, ect. I wrote all my school papers on those, or by hand. It wasn't until late in nursing school that we had a computer at home for me to use. And it was with one of those slow, grinding printers....
Anyhow. The point?
Real, handwritten honest to goodness letters.
I can't remember the last time I got one. Or wrote one.
A few years, at least. I have this friend, from Nursing School who stubbornly refused to get a computer. She sent me letters. She has since folded her non computer stance and is now a Myspace Queen.
What about kids?
Do they know how to put pen to paper?
And consider this. MM was just telling me his Mom saved all the letters his Dad wrote to her. (aww). His Dad was Navy and used to go on cruises. With the advent of email today, and yes, they have it on the ships. How romantic is it to have print outs of emails? I think it is much better to have the hand written kind, much read, I am sure. That physical reminder, a piece of paper that he held, and wrote on, and sealed, that she then held, and opened, and read. Sure, it takes a few days/weeks. But the memory is priceless.

7 comments:

Daryl said...

There's an award for you, come on over and pick it up!

:-Daryl

julie said...

I love handwritten letters. I save the ones I get, too... they're so rare anymore.

Lori said...

I think handwritten letters are great BUT I never have the time. And I'm awful about staying in touch w/ people. So, e-mail it is. Although I do still handwrite letters to my grandma bc she doesn't have a computer. And my children all have to make their ownn cards for holidays and thank you cards, so they know how to do it!

holly said...

the thing about letters is that they take forever to arrive. email = instant.

BUUUUT i really do agree with you. i loved loved loved getting letters. i just *like* getting emails.

MM said...

Hey,
It's me, MM's big sis. I have all those letters at my house so not only were they precious to my Mom and Dad, but a reminder of the love they shared and peek into the people they were before they were "Mom and Dad". I cherish them and have only had the heart to read one of them. She wrote letters to him after he passed and I have those too. I strongly encourage everyone to write a letter to your loved ones. Each of my girls has one from me from the time I found out I was pregnant with them and when they became older and the woman that they were becoming started to emerge. I loved writing them and I hope they cherish them the way I cherish the little pieces of my parents that MM, MM's big bro and I have....

mielikki said...

See, big sis. My point exactly. And it's not even that you have to read them to know the love your parents shared. It is enough to have them....
and I know your girls will always cherish those letters from you. I bet they are still reading them when they are 80....

sybil law said...

So, so true.
Right on with the handwritten letters!