BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Controversy in my household

It all started like this:


Me, MM and MG went to see Ironman. Sounds innocent enough, right?



But here's the thing. And I guess I am kind of outing myself here.
I don't like Robert Downey J. (RDJ). And I would not have cast him in this role.
I announced this, at the end of the movie, and was on the receiving end of twin looks of horror from MM and MG. Now, don't get me wrong. It was a pretty good movie. I just don't like RDJ. I think that he wasted so many years being a junkie, and abusing his loved ones and frittering away his talent. And when we give ex jumkies money, well. Most of them fall back into that world. Sounds cynical, I know. But there you have it.
According to MM, however, Tony Stark, aka Iron man, is a giant, womanizing alcoholic asshole. Making it the perfect role for, you guessed it, RDJ, At least, this is the argument he offers me when we discuss the movie. I can accept that, I guess. Especially because, when he asks me to come up with another actor who could have pulled off the role, all I could think of was Liam Neeson. I like Liam Neeson. But is he Tony Stark? Probably not. (I am really going to have to try and find someone better to answer that question with.)

BUT. BUT BUT BUT.
Yesterday, after signing away the next 30 years of our lives to our new to us home, (and we finished signing the paperwork in record time, thanks to are awesome title company lady Jill)
we went to see this:


I loved it. It was fantastic. I liked many things about it. I am not going to spoil the movie here, so it is safe to read this post until the end.
What I enjoyed, was the fact that they paid homage to the previous hulks, and they even used the haunting music that I remember from the TV series days. It totally worked. I also really liked the fact that they didn't make the hulk look like a green painted Lou Ferrigno. They styled the "monster" very well. They didn't try to make him look too believable, too human. They made him look as he should.



and of course. I liked this. Edward Norton. He played the mild mannered Bruce Banner perfectly. With a little bit of an edge. Not a push over, wimpy "oh poor me" Bruce Banner. He was wonderful.

So go see Hulk. I don't think you will be sorry.

7 comments:

Bubblewench said...

Can't wait to see them both! I don't like RDJ either.. but I think like MM...

Daryl said...

I am not always a RDJ fan .. sometimes I cut him a little slack ... but I love Edward Norton .. love him .. I am sure we'll see both of these but not til they end up on NetFlix ... dont ask ...


:-Daryl

julie said...

Now, see... I've always liked RDJ. When he's not using, he's an amazing talent. It's just very sad that he's wasted so much of his life and put his family through all that.

That being said, I'm not a big fan of superhero movies... so I doubt I'll see either of those. At least, not until The Boy brings them home on DVD. :)

Jo Beaufoix said...

I can't way to see them. The old hulk series used to make me so sad when I was little. I used to cry because the hulk was all alone and people hurt him.

sybil law said...

The Hulk rocks!!! I haven't seen the movie, but I am happy to know it was done well. Yay!

holly said...

okay here's where we're a little different. i do like rdj in spite of it all. i think he does a good job of whatever it is he does. i *don't* care for liam at all. can not take to the man. at all.

but same-same on ed. love ed. dunno why.

NanaKaos said...

I don't like RDJ either, his life has been wasted, I realize his parents encouraged his drug use, and on and on adnaz. But once you are an adult it is on you, I did like the movie however. We haven't seen The Hulk yet, just haven't. It is on our list, NanaKaos