BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Times have changed

And I am getting older.

Sometimes, things boggle my mind. This week, it's technology. And not even anything new.
The things we use computers for. Like, this blog, for instance. Who would have thought the internet would provide me with an online journal I would actually maintain? I would have never have guessed it, ten years ago. Hell, probably not even five years ago.
And, the schools. When I was in school, my parents had NO CLUE what my grades were, usually until the first quarter report cards came out. (and sometimes, not even then). I got the mail, so any pesky "cinch" notes would get pinched, and hidden. If, by any chance, there was trouble, one of my parents would have to go to the school, to physically meet and discuss said problem, and teacher.
Now? Grades at the click of a button. And the teachers even UPDATE the site, frequently! And if you have a question, well, another click sends you to their email. And they even ANSWER me most of the time. Its fantastic.
If you ask MG if SHE thinks its fantastic, well, I am hazarding a guess that her answer to that is going to be no....
Poor kid, growing up in the "parents have access to everything" stage.
I wonder what it's going to be like when SHE has kids....

5 comments:

sybil law said...

Yep - they certainly have. Although, my kids' teacher's email begins with "chinadoll", and that really fucking skeeves me out, for some reason. :)

Heather T said...

I am completely with you on (1) being grateful that none of this technology was around when I was a student, and (2) feeling sorry for kids today that their parents have so much information at their fingertips. It's really very unfair. (*snort*, *laugh*)

Daryl said...

I am SO glad I am child-free

NanaKaos said...

I haven't maintained my blog for awhile, but then there is some deep stuff going on, maybe I'll get back to it when things settle and my heart has healed a little. I miss blogging, but as of now there isn't much that I can say that would interest people, it is too dark.
Hopefully I'll be back this year, but I will keep reading.

Bubblewench said...

I have to agree.. I just found out my co-workers kid in HS has to be on Facebook because they are assigned group assignments on there. I was floored.

So glad I don't have kids.