BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Short Story Saturday

Rocky stared in horror at Janet, as her puppy Brad lounged at her feet.
"What do you mean, your dropping out? You are so close to graduation. What is Eddie going to say?"
"Who cares what Eddie thinks, he makes crappy meatloaf, anyways" retorted Janet. "What matters is that Riff Raff and I are in love. And he has a bike, and we are going to see America, in the way it's meant to be seen. By bike. Camping every night. Eating Pork and Beans from a can over an open fire. And you can't stop me".
"I am going to call your mother" shouted Rocky, wondering where he had gone wrong. Maybe Magenta would be able to get through to her.
"Go ahead" said Janet, laughing. I already did, and she is more than thrilled with my decision. She never wanted me to be a lawyer, anyhow!"
"This is Columbia's fault" groused Rocky, not quite under his breath.
"Leave her out of this" snarled Janet, staring daggers at Rocky. "Columbia was a long time ago, and I have not seen her in at least 6 months. I am happy with Riff Raff. Just leave it be.
"I bet Dr. Everett is not thrilled with this decision" answered Rocky, trying to be calm.
"Well, no, he isn't" allowed Janet reluctantly.
"But he says, as long as I stay on my meds, I will be fine. Besides, I can phone in, regularly, and check in with Betty and Ralph.
"What about me, Janet, aren't you going to phone in and check with me?"
"Why should I?" she asked. "Do you actually care about my whearabouts?"
"Well, what are you going to do with Brad, then?" he said, trying to change the subject.
"Brad is coming with me. We have a sidecar" she said smugly. "As if I'd leave my puggle with you. You'd run him over, probably".
"You got that right" thought Rocky, still unable to believe that Janet was leaving Portland. Frank would be fit to be tied, when he heard, because Janet was his favorite grand daughter. He'd been very pleased that she was going to be a lawyer, he'd planned on getting her hired at the firm he'd helped established.
"When are you going to tell Frank?" he asked.
"I'm not" answered Janet, laughing.
"Frank is an old man, and he will die soon enough. Let him die happy. Summer is coming, and I have simply told him that I am taking a trip. To Transylvania, as a matter of fact. He believed me. After all, I am his 'golden girl'.
"Smart arse" growled Rocky.
Fine. Go. But don't come crying to me when Riff Raff breaks your heart.
"Don't worry, I won't" retorted Janet. Spinning on her heel, she tugged on the leash.
"Come on Brad, lets go. The open road awaits".

7 comments:

My Own Woman said...

What a cute little time warp parody... I loved it. (Especially since the dog's name is Brad!)

Mr. Noodle said...

I need to check out the rest of your blog to see if there is more to this story. You got me involved with it right away.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I am just getting it started and enjoyed your comment.

Mr. Noodle

sybil law said...

So you'll continue this?! Yes?

Daryl said...

I second the Sybil .. more of this .. I wanna know more about Janet and Riff Raff .. and Brad's trip

Tell them to avoid the cemeteries in NOLA ...

:-Daryl

holly said...

i LOVE "Rocky stared in horror" niiiiice.

Bubblewench said...

omg.. great spin off!

Jo Beaufoix said...

Ohhh, I want more. :D