BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Say Cheese!

Or Not.

Remember picture day?
For me, it was a day when my Mother dictated what I wore (usually an ugly dress), she dictated how my hair looked (usually so tight my eyes squinted, or, down with a braid down ONE side making me look lopsided) and she dictated how I was supposed to smile. (Show your teeth!). And as I got older, it was inevitable that a big pimple would erupt, the night before.
I hated being lined up, waiting my turn. Having the strange lady comb my bangs right before I got there, the fak-ey smily photographer who was probably bored out of his skull, having snapped pictures of countless dozens of kids before me.
Then, some six weeks later. Result.
There you are, looking like a dork. Because the strange lady made your bangs look sideways, smiling and showing my teeth makes you look like you are growling at someone, and that bored photographer just WAITED for you to blink.
Right?

School pictures have come a long way.
MG brought home the flier this week, for pictures.
They get to choose backgrounds, now. (Just solid colored ones, but still.)
They can have their names embossed onto the pictures.
They can get paper pictures, AND a CD with the pictures, as well.
They also get the options of having them touched up.

The way I see it, is these kids should come out of picture day looking like a super model. We should be able to turn MG into a million dollar an hour cover girl, at the very least, right?

8 comments:

sybil law said...

They have come a long way, but you can't do much with goofy kids regardless! :D
I am mad that we didn't get to see some classic school pic with this post.
Haha

Daryl said...

Yeah .. I wanted to see some of those school pix of your's ... or someone else's .. we didnt do that in NY public schools. The only school photo I have is high school yearbook .. and we had the option of cap/gown or plain street clothes.

The photo in my year book was apparently re-touched because I know I wore my hair tucked behind my ears and in the photo its not...
:-Daryl

Lori said...

I agree. At my kids school they'll even do a full body shot! That was "special" for only seniors when I was growing up.
I still only buy the cheapest package though. I much prefer non-posed pics to give away to the family. They're so much more realistic.

Marcus said...

Having a dorky yearbook photo is a rite of passage, they shouldn't mess with that.

Bubblewench said...

That's just the medias impression on kids.. god forbid they not have glamor shots for their school photos

Bubblewench said...

That's just the medias impression on kids.. god forbid they not have glamor shots for their school photos

NanaKaos said...

But they won't tell you to wipe the bugger off your nose. In K's pic last year that was an accessory that shouldn't have been included. Poor kid, they should care more about that stuff. Thank goodness for retakes.

holly said...

oh EW nanakaos!!! they should have been smacked for that!

it's so technie advanced now that
i shudder to think what it will be like in 10 years.

and i remember mom always saying "why didn't you smile?"

"but i DID!" stupid non-smiling mouth.