BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Stubborn

I am sure you all remember that along with the boy coming our way, we have a teenage girl as well. She is a great kid, and has been a big help during the pregnancy, and looks forward to her little brother.

She is, however, a teen. And all that goes with that. We've had our challenges lately, and right now, she is chafing at the bit some because she's had to start off her summer vacation grounded.
It is what it is.
Yesterday, we were watching something on television that had young adults wearing placards that announced what they felt their vulnerabilities were. Or something like that. Maybe it was their biggest malfunctions, I wasn't paying that much attention to it. Thinking about it, I told her I would be wearing one that said "Procrastination". Its gotten me in trouble on more than one occasion. She opined that she wasn't sure what she'd put down.
I smiled, and said, (nicely) that I thought stubborn might work for her. She took that well, said she thought stubborn was a compliment, and didn't see how it could be a vulnerability. Which started us on a discussion about how it really COULD be.
Stubborn can be a good trait. It is useful on many occasions. But, you also have to know how to pull it back. How to realize that though you WANT to be right, you are not always right, and you have to admit that. Stubborn can prevent all that.
I think she saw my point. I know that when I was her age, I was stubborn and would have rather have been bathed in fire ants then back down from whatever or whomever I was trying to out stubborn.
She is just like me. I may not have given birth to her, but I swear, we are cut from the same cloth. So here we are, in the stubborn teenage years. Adding a baby to the mix.
Maybe I should call this post CRAZY.... :)

2 comments:

sybil law said...

Instant babysitter!!

Daryl said...

Ah I remember it well .. I never procrastinated but I was and am still stubborn and ornery