BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, December 6, 2010

so I have to ask...

When did it become okay for children to be getting coffee?

I ask because, well.
The dentist I go to, she sees many kids, because they do those Invisalign braces at her practice. And, in their waiting room, they have this little beverage center thingy that has one of those one cup drink makers. And little snacks.
I already think that's weird, because, you're going to the dentist. Why do they want people eating and drinking before their exams?
Ok, I get that its probably for the people waiting for their kids or spouses or whatever. But what's to stop the person getting the exam from sitting there and using it?
ANYHOW
so, I was early for my appointment, because the DMV and my other errands didn't take as long as I had expected them to. Kid number 1 walks in, a boy, probably no more then 12 years old, I am guessing closer to 10, though. A few minutes later, Dad comes in.
"dad! dad! dad!! Can I get a drink!"
"yeah whatever" waves away Dad, who is too busy telling the receptionist she looks "gorgeous" and calling the hygenest sweetheart. (true story)
Kid starts pushing buttons, hemming and hawing. Finally, he turns to his father, who was still ogling the receptionist and says "All the buttons are flashing and I don't know what to do!"
Dad comes over, pushes a button, and voila
juniors cup starts to fill.
"I had a hard time choosing between the French Roast or the Green Tea" says jr. conversationally, as his cup fills. "I chose the tea".
"Well there's the sugar, hurry up" answers pervo-dad.
And with that, said 'sweetheart hygeinest' calls the child in.
As they were leaving, later, Dad hands kid the next appt. card. "Give that to your mother" he instructs.....
Kid 2 comes in
with skinny mother
doesn't even ask
right for the French Roast.
He was probably 13.

I never even considered drinking coffee at their ages...

6 comments:

DaddyKaos said...

I was drinking coffee at Grandma Scotts for as long as I can remember. Poured it out of a cup into the saucer and had some Swedish rusk to dip into the cup, nothing wrong with starting early.

sybil law said...

I still don't drink coffee, so I find that really bizarre!

Daryl said...

I am more concerned that kids drink juice drinks with alcohol .. and now there's a whipped creme with alcohol .. WTF?

Mimi said...

I started drinking coffee quite young, my parents gave it to me black thinking I wouldn't like it, and the rest is history.

Jamie said...

I remember drinking the dregs of my dad's cup of coffe when I was little, but I wasn't allowed to just have a cup of coffee. I'll never forget the first time I had my own cup of coffee though.

I was about 12 years old. My dad took me out to lunch, just the 2 of us. That was a rare treat in and of itself. The waitress came to take our drink order and my dad asked for a cup of coffee and a glass of ice water. I said that sounded good, referring to the water, and she left to get our drinks. She returned with coffee and water for us both, and my dad let me have it. Even after that it was a rare treat until I was in my late teens.

Finding Pam said...

It has to be better than all of those other drinks. I used to drink milk coffee when I was little. I still have it that way.

When we were little we drank water, sweet tea, lemonaide and milk. Times are sure different now.